Susanne at Living to Tell the Story hosts a “Friday Fave Five” in which we share our five favorite things from the past week. Click on the button to read more of the details, and you can visit Susanne to see the list of others’ favorites.
1. This was our first week of summer vacation! Whoo hoo! I enjoyed not setting the alarm clock at all for a couple of days, but found it would get to be about noon by the time I got up, ate, had devotions, showererd, and messed around on the computer a little. I didn’t like getting going that late, so I have set the alarm the last several days — but still two hours later than on school days. 7 is a much better wake-up time than 5!
2. Great American Cookie Company peanut butter cookies. My oldest two went to the mall to look around and brought me some cookies!
3. Root beer…from Jack in the Box. I have to drink decaf because of a heart rhythm problem, and I just don’t care much for Sprite or 7-Up. We have an A&W here, but their root beer tastes to me like it has vanilla added. I discovered Jack sold it, and I often will stop there for one while out running errands — so often that now they know me there. After I ordered at the drive-through Thursday, when I pulled to the window the girl said, “I knew it was you!” Oddly enough I’m not really crazy about it from a can or bottle at home. There’s just something about the fountain root beer at Jack in the Box that’s just right to me. (And no, this isn’t a commercial. 🙂 )
4. Getting caught up with some errands and housekeeping chores that have been piling up and waiting for me the last couple of weeks. Not that I haven’t cleaned in that time, but I was behind on a few tasks, and am glad to have more or less caught up.
5. The first class wedding stamp used on my son’s wedding invitations:
Isn’t that lovely?
Though I didn’t want to list THREE food items — that would be a little embarrassing — I probably could have done a whole fave five listing foods this week. But I did want to mention one more. I had made creamed chicken and biscuits (didn’t make the biscuits from scratch, though) one night earlier this week, and when making the white sauce, I had a temporary memory lapse and forgot that a whole stick of margarine was 1/2 a cup instead of 1/4 a cup. Unfortunately I didn’t realize that until after I’d already melted it and added 1/4 flour and wondered why it still looked so liquidy. There was nothing else I could do but add another 1/4 cup of flour and double the milk, as well, to make a double portion. I separated out about half the white sauce, wondering what I was going to do with it, when later on the idea came that I could get some sausage and brown it, mix it with the leftover white sauce, and voila — sausage gravy over the leftover biscuits. Just had that for breakfast — scrumptious! I don’t think I have ever made that at home and only rarely have it eating out.
You can find more fave fives or join in on the fun at Susanne‘s.