It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
The last Friday’s Fave Five of 2017! I’m hoping to do a retrospective post before the year runs out. Meanwhile, here are some favorite happenings of the last week.
1. Christmas, of course. It was a fun day of showing love, giving gifts, and eating!
2. Time with family. My oldest son is here from out of state, my husband has been off since last Thursday, and my youngest son has been off since Tuesday, along with Christmas Day. Once all the stuff for Christmas was done, the rest of the week has been like vacation. I don’t take for granted having all the family together for this time: we’ve had two Christmases where one was missing, and that may happen again in the future, but I am enjoying it to the hilt while I have it.
3. Games. We really don’t play games much unless everyone is here, so we’ve been catching up this week. Fun!
4. Ham! The ham I got for Christmas was on sale, but they didn’t have any big ones. We had enough for Christmas and a few sandwiches, leftover plates, and breakfasts, but not enough for a couple of other things I usually make with ham leftovers, like Swiss Ham Ring Around. So after Christmas we got another one about the same size, marked down even lower than the first one was.
5. Air Fryers. My oldest son and I both got one of these for Christmas, so we broke mine out Thursday morning to experiment a bit before trying it for a full meal. As it turned out, it was more than sufficient for lunch. This recipe for empanadas was what made me want an air fryer in the first place, and my son had seen and wanted to try that recipe, too. We had to adapt it a bit – we couldn’t find empanada dough, so we used puff pastry. The empanada dough comes in five-inch circles, and in looking for something that size to use as a guide, we discovered an unused CD fit the bill! We washed it over beforehand and after, so we’ll probably keep it as a guide until we can find the empanada dough. For filling I browned ground beef and flavored it as for tacos – salt, pepper, onion, garlic powder, and chili powder – and then added a bit of tomato sauce and topped the mixture with cheddar cheese. Jeremy did the dough work. They turned out great! I think next time I’d leave out the tomato sauce, but I loved the texture of the air “fried” puff pastry. While we had it going, I tossed in some frozen French fries, and they came out good, too.
We were trying to use tongs to take them out, which dented them a bit, so we switched to a spatula, and that turned out better.
Happy Friday and Happy New Year! My wish for you all is that whatever 2018 brings, it will draw you ever closer to our Savior.