It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week
with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
This FFF button is particularly apt because we’ve had snow twice this week. Thankfully it wasn’t heavy and didn’t impact travel either time.
This first week of the new year ended up not being quite as back-to-the-routine as I was expecting. But overall, everything went well. Here are a few favorites.
1. Time with family and safe travels. We had one last weekend all together before my oldest had to fly back to RI. It’s always hard to say goodbye, but I so treasure those weeks together. Thankfully all his flights went as scheduled even though we heard of massive numbers of flights being cancelled due to staff shortages.
2. A hot water heater fix. On the last shower of the last day of Jeremy’s visit, the hot water heater went out. My husband cleaned out the motor area and took some things apart. He looked up the part he thought was needed, but it wouldn’t get here for several days. I began to think of all the ramifications of not having hot water for several days. He worked on it a good bit of the afternoon and got it going. My hero!
3. New calendars. One of my favorite things is setting up new wall calendars for the new year. I have two, one near my desk and one in the kitchen. I go through them and put all our birthdays and anniversaries in it before hanging it up. It’s such a pleasure to see those clean pages.
4. A good first doctor’s visit. I’ve had some digestive issues for a number of years which have steadily gotten worse. I saw a gastroenterologist when this all first started, but he was the kind of doctor who could only help if he found something he could cut out. When he didn’t, he referred me to the internet. We’ve moved since then, and I finally decided to ask my family doctor for a referral. I had my first appointment with the new doctor this week, and he was very easy to talk to and much more knowledgeable about the various facets of digestive troubles. He gave me a couple of things to try and scheduled a couple of easy tests. Then we’ll get those results and see what steps we need to take next.
5. A beautiful sunrise. Our house is positioned such that we don’t normally see sunrises or sunsets. Sometimes we’ll catch a bit of beautiful color in one window, but will have to step outside to see much more. And even then, we’re surrounded by so many trees that we only get what looks like a few feet of skyline before it’s gone. I had to leave the house while it was still dark one morning and was able to see the whole sunrise stretch across the sky while I was driving. It was so glorious and such a pleasure. I couldn’t stop to get a picture, but I enjoyed it immensely.
(Edited to add): Bonus: Help putting Christmas things away. The whole family comes over to help decorate for Christmas. This is our first Christmas without Jesse living at home, and I was not relishing putting everything away with just Jim and I. Thankfully, Jesse was willing to stay after Jeremy left and help, and Jason and Mittu also helped a bit before they had to leave. As tired as I was afterward even with help, I can’t imagine how wiped out I’d have been if we’d had to do it alone. It was also nice to get it done and not have all the totes everywhere for days.
I hope your first week of 2022 contained blessings large and small.