Susanne at Living to Tell the Story hosts a “Friday Fave Five” in which we share our five favorite things from the past week. Click on the button to read more of the details.
So here are some of my favorite things from the past week.
1. Chick-Fil-A biscuits. (I always seem to include food as one of my five, don’t I?) I had to get Jesse to school an hour earlier than usual, and had a little bit left on a Chick-Fil-A gift card my step-father had sent as part of his Christmas present, so I stopped for one after dropping Jesse off. That biscuit really hit the spot this morning!
2. Fine Arts Festival. Our state organization of Christian schools is sponsoring a fine arts festival this week that students in all its member schools can participate in. The host school is a couple of hours away, so I hadn’t planned to go to watch Jesse’s choir sing its two songs, but last Friday our school had everyone who was performing for the festival do so for a school assembly, so I got to see all the performances then. Everyone did a good job, but the standout performance for me was a duo acting piece by a couple of our seniors. I hope they all do great today! (Incidentally, this was why I had to get Jesse to school early — he had to be there at 6:45 a.m. and won’t get back til this evening. It’s going to be a loooong day for all of them.)
3. Chair pads. I had been looking for some non-slip chair pads for our hard wooden kitchen chairs for a long time. We had used the ones that tie on, but eventually the ties always pulled loose from the pad. Last year I finally found some that went with my kitchen decor at Kohl’s, but they only had three. I figured I’d mix and match with solid colored ones, but didn’t find any in the right colors. Then, after months of not having them, Kohl’s unexpectedly had more of the same style and color. So now all my kitchen chairs have pads that match and go well with my kitchen and don’t slide around when you’re trying to sit down. A little thing, in the grand scheme of things, but it makes me happy. 🙂
4. My new theme. I had been trying to change my blog over to this current theme for a while, but whenever I tried, it threw my sidebar into a mess. It acted as though possibly one of the graphics had been coded to be positioned to the left, and it was pulling everything else off kilter, but I went through and looked at each of them individually, and they were fine. I tried a few different things and nothing worked. I don’t know a whole lot about html code, but it occurred to me to try putting <li></li> between each graphic, creating a line of space between them — and voila! That worked. I was so pleased to have figured it out myself without asking my son for help, which I was just on the verge of doing (there is hope for me after all!) It’s not a big dramatic change of themes, but this seems cleaner, the font is bigger, and I like the way links are done here better — the old one had a dashed line under links in a post, which I didn’t like. Plus! I didn’t realize this theme had this til I switched over, but I had been wanting the feature where, if you’re on a particular post, a line at the top will tell you what the previous post and next post are. So I was really pleased to find that.
Sorry to be so wordy on that one!
5. The Spring Reading Thing that Katrina hosts each year. I love reading and love seeing what others have on their lists, and I like seeing their impressions about what they read at the end.
Bonus 6: The first day of spring!