Susanne at Living to Tell the Story hosts a “Friday Fave Five” in which we share our five favorite things from the past week. Click on the button to read more of the details, and you can visit Susanne to see the list of others’ favorites or to join in.
1. One of my favorite things this week, this month, this year, in a long time, was getting together with some of our dearest friends Saturday night. We’ve known each other since early married days. We only live about 45 minutes apart from each other now, but it is hard to coordinate schedules and make time, especially hard to get whole families together now that some of the kids are grown and away from home. Jason and Mittu coordinated a get-together at their house — these had not yet met Mittu — and it was such a good time.
2. We didn’t have a snow day exactly, because we didn’t get snow last weekend — some areas not far from us got 4″, but we only got sleet and ice pellets. But the overnight temperature of about 16F froze all the slush and made for hazardous driving, so our church canceled both services. Though I did miss them, and Sunday seems so strange without church, it was nice to just have a day of rest. We try to keep Sunday as restful as we can anyway — though we’re not legalistic about it, we try not to do work that day unless it just has to be done. So to just nap or read or visit without feeling like I needed to be getting to something else was refreshing.
3. Pudding chip cookies. I’d been craving them for weeks and finally made them.
4. Jeremy and I got a take-out lunch at McAlister’s Deli yesterday. We hadn’t ordered from there in a long time. I love their potato soup. We don’t usually get dessert from there, but this time I got a brownie and Jeremy got a ginormous chocolate chip cookie, and we each split ours to share with each other.
5. Puffs Plus tissues with lotion. Jim doesn’t like them as they tend to shred if he has any whiskers at all, so I don’t keep them around all the time, but they really do help an aching nose. I’ve unfortunately needed them this week. Jim and Jason were sick earlier in the week and now Jeremy and I are. This is not a good time to be sick as I have a lot that needs to get done over the next few days.
I’m also glad for a better weekend forecast than what they were saying earlier in the week: they were predicting snow, sleet, and ice, but now it looks like it will be just rain. Yet the excess rain from last time still hasn’t evaporated or soaked in yet — there’s still standing water throughout town. I’m hoping we don’t have a repeat of our flooding incident.
And I’m glad I finished The Tartan Pimpernel.
And, oh yeah — Lost is back on!!!