It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
Happy first day of June! Here are some of the best parts of last week:
1. Memorial Day with the family. We had the traditional burgers and sides, then enjoyed a movie with the family along with gluten-free shortcakes and a variety of fruits for dessert. Even though it rained, Jim faithfully grilled his wonderful burgers. Pulling the patio umbrella over helped a bit.
2. The PBS Memorial Day concert comes on the Sunday evening before Memorial Day. I’ve watched parts of it before, but this year I watched the whole thing. Some of the stories of our service men and women were quite moving and helped me remember the reason for this holiday.
3. Patch work. My husband was able to get to several patching jobs of cracks in walls and ceilings around the house. Looks much, much better!
4. Delayed rain. We have had an abundance of rain this week due to the subtropical storm Alberto’s passing by. One morning I had to get to the store, even though thunder sounded nearby. I figured I’d just change once I got home if I got drenched. But thankfully, the rain held off until later in the day. And my husband got a lawn-mowing in on the day he wanted to before the rain came down too hard.
5. Lunch at Cracker Barrel. We rarely get to eat out, due to my mother-in-law’s situation, and almost never at Cracker Barrel. It’s one of my favorite places to eat, but my husband doesn’t care for it. But he indulged me last weekend. And I got a slice of Double Chocolate Coca-Cola cake to bring home and savor.
Bonus: I love when two different sources in my devotional reading reinforce each other. Some of my devotional books correspond to the date, but others are books I just “happened” to be in at the time or a Bible passage I navigated to at my own speed. When they intersect unexpectedly, it seems like that’s God’s particular message to me for the day.