It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
I was sorry to miss the Friday’s Fave Fives last week. I had to go out of town that morning and had planned to post before I left. But a combination of not sleeping very much the night before, not feeling well that morning, and getting ready for the trip crowded out the time. So I’ll try to condense two weeks into only five favorite parts. 🙂
1. Our church ladies’ group changed its meetings from every other month to every six weeks, so we get a few more times together through the year. I always enjoy the fellowship and the insight from discussing Scripture together.
2. Safety in rain and flooding. We had tons of rainfall week before last, with more than five inches Saturday. Thankfully our property is elevated, but several roads were flooded out. I was at the ladies’ group when my husband texted that the main road home was flooded. I asked the ladies if they knew another way around. The pastor’s wife tried to explain it to me and then offered to drive that way so I could follow her. Then another lady said she was going that way and offered to lead me out. We stayed in the rest of the weekend. Church was cancelled and everyone was urged to stay off the roads. Locals have said they have never seen anything like the flooding we had. One aftermath of all the rain was a 25-foot-wide, 60-foot-deep sinkhole! I’m so thankful for safety. And I am thankful the electricity didn’t go off and that we’ve had some bright sunshine in the days since.
As a subpoint to this one, our community Facebook page was a big help. I actually keep their posts hidden most of the time, because it’s just too busy for me with lost and found pets and searches for plumbers and mechanics and such. But during the flooding that was the best place to find out if local roads were flooded or open.
3. Birthdays. We celebrated my beautiful daughter-in-law’s birthday week before last and my dear husband’s birthday this past week.
4. My second writer’s conference and an encouraging prize. I wrote more about it here, but I was able to attend a writer’s conference last weekend. I’m thankful for safety there and back, good meetings, good workshops, good conversations. And I was especially thankful to have won a prize in a couple of contests. Last year the person who critiqued my manuscript sample had not one good word to say about it, and I seriously rethought whether writing was just a dream. My critique this year was so encouraging, and that and the contests encouraged me that, though I still have a long way to go, I am learning and growing.
5. A new bathroom floor! Our master bathroom had carpet, which doesn’t really work well in a bathroom. Ever since we first bought the house, we’ve wanted to replace the carpet. We had bought the materials but my husband hadn’t had a chance to work on it. He decided that he’d use the time while I was away to do so. It looks nice!
Even if we liked the carpet, we would have needed to change it because it was getting loose and bumpy.
Such an improvement! He did a great job. Next: painting the walls and cabinets, changing the drawer knobs, and finding new bath mats! I love the rug that’s there, but it’s shredding.
Bonus: Tried to keep it to five, but I just had to squeeze in one more. 🙂 My doctor was concerned about some of my lab work at my physical last fall and wanted me to come in for a recheck this week. All my numbers were good and he was pleased!
It’s been a busy couple of weeks, but I am looking forward to a bit of relaxation and then digging back in to my manuscript and some other projects.