It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week
with Susanne and other friends at Living to Tell the Story .
Fall has well and truly arrived here in eastern TN. It’s been downright chilly in the mornings, though we’ve not turned on the heat yet. Someone posted on FaceBook a funny meme that we get all four seasons in one day: winter in the early morning, spring mid-morning, summer early afternoon, and fall late afternoon. That’s about right.
Here are some favorites from the last week:
1. “Girl time” with Mittu. I met my son and daughter-in-law and grandson for lunch at the mall Saturday, and then Mittu and I saw a movie that none of the guys were interested in. We wondered that we hadn’t done more girl things over the years. With Timothy’s babyhood and then caring for my mother-in-law, there wasn’t as much opportunity. But maybe now there is!
2. Ladies group from church met Saturday morning. Always a joy to get into the Word of God with these ladies.
3. Family time. Jason and Mittu came over and made burritos Saturday night. Then Jim and Timothy shot off some rockets made from plastic soda bottle and propelled by water. By the time we got outside, it was a little too dark to see how far they went up, so we’ll have to do them again some time when it’s light outside. But Timothy enjoyed watching them take off and land. Then the next day we met for lunch and wandered around an antique show for a bit. Not all of it was antiques: many of the displays looked like things Chip and Joanna Gaines (from Fixer Upper) would use.
4. Toy Story 4 was part of our family time as well, but I wanted to give it its own slot. When I first heard they were making a fourth installment, I was wary. I didn’t want the franchise run into the ground, and I felt the third movie had wrapped things up nicely. But this fourth movie was really good and as heart-touching as the others.
5. Surprise treats. Since I was away from home most of Saturday, I asked Jim if he would pick up a few things from the store for me. For the next couple of days, I found small packs of my favorite candy hidden in spots around the house. I hadn’t had them on my list—he saw them and wanted to surprise me. ♥
Then when I picked up a grocery order from W-Mart, they handed me a surprise bag of goodies, too.
It’s been a great week! Hope yours has been, too.
I love that you spent time with your daughter in law….my mother in law about 15 yrs ago when she was in better shape and health, treated all of her daughters (2) and daughters in law (2) to the musical Menopause in Boston. None of us except herself had been through menopause but we laughed hysterically the entire night. Such good memories. I hope you continue to make more.
Being nearby your grandson and having them over so often must be a huge blessing. I’m praying one day i will be a gramma. First, they need godly, Christian husbands!! 😀
I love getting together with my small group for Bible Study. Glad you had the chance!
How sweet ( no pun Intended!!) of your hubby to hide your fave candy around the house.
Have a great weekend.
What a lovely list of favorites, Barbara. I am so glad that you and Mittu had that time out together. When our kids come down from Maine our daughter-in-law and I try to do something by ourselves and it is fun! Special memories are made indeed. I was also blessed by your husband’s desire to surprise his wife! That is just so precious, my friend. He is a treasure you definitely should keep! 🙂
Your movie with Mittu sounds lovely! Did you see Downton Abbey? 🙂 Would you believe I’ve never seen a single one of the Toy Story movies? I should. That is so SWEET (literally!) of your husband to buy/hide the treats.
I can’t wait to see Toy Story 4! 🙂
I want to see Toy Story 4 and am glad to hear that it is good!!! –Ann
Love those touches of sweetness in your week, Barbara. I love girl time with my mother, too. We have many similar tastes that still surprise me from time to time.
That’s so nice that you can chat with your daughter in law ! Mine is so strange, she is Dutch and even with the friend’s wives of my son she doesn’t have any relationship and always sits in a corner. She only comes for birthdays and Christmas otherwise my son + Toby come alone. She says that she is bored because she doesn’t speak French. Strange is that she understands everything, lol ! and then we all speak English too. I have tried now I have given up. And Toby apparently has more fun when she is not there ! That counts !
Sounds like a good week and how nice of your hubby to surprise you with treats. I’ll have to try and pass that idea on to mine lol. Enjoy your weekend.
Love your list. That’s so nice that you and your daughter-in-law got to do a girls’ outing. The babies came so fast for mine that there isn’t a lot of extra time when we’re together, but I will make an effort. Love this idea. How nice of your husband to surprise you! Such a thoughtful idea. I see that Toy Story 4 is on DVD now. That might be a worthwhile purchase for us. My grandkids are still so little for the theater.
Great faves this week! I love the times I get girl time with my daughter in law and with my daughters. (I also love time with my boys)
I love how your hubby left those little presents around the house for you. Yum!
Have a great weekend!
You live in Eastern Tennessee! That is my favorite area of the country, along with its neighbor Western North Carolina. We vacationed there in 1998, and we totally fell in love. Tried to move there, but it didn’t work out, and we ended up moving out West instead. But I do love TN!! Will be going to Nashville with my daughter in November.
I love that you did something fun with your daughter-in-law. I had a wonderful mother-in-law (she passed last year), and we often did fun things together. Since mothers-in-law get such a bum rap, it’s great that you are proving the naysayers wrong.
All your candy is such a lovely surprise! Very sweet of your Jim.
Hidden candy, how fun of your Hubby to do that! I loved Toy Story 4. My daughter and I saw it together. What movie did you and Mittu see? Hopefully that’s the first of many girl times together.