On Fridays I like to pause for a few moments with Susanne and friends
to reflect on some of the blessings of the week.
The first full week of October was cool and lovely.
One NOT-favorite thing this week is WordPress’s new block editor. Is anyone else frustrated with that? I didn’t even like the Classic Editor—I liked the old editor before that. It had a toolbar across the top and a sidebar with everything I needed. Now I’m having to look up how to do the simplest tasks. It’s maddening when a simple process is done away and replaced with a complicated one. They’re allowing us to still use the Classic one, at least for a while—but sometimes the post will switch from classic to block when I am right in the middle of it. Grr!
Well, on to more pleasant things:
1. Cleaning off my desk. Probably no one else would be able to tell a difference. But I can. 🙂 Plus, in cleaning out my “in box,” I found three gift cards that I had forgotten about!
2. A church picnic. We seem to be having these a little more often than the pre-pandemic potlucks we used to have. We have them outside on a covered pavilion with everyone distancing and bringing their own food so as to avoid cross contamination. We did share cupcakes this time, though, for the pastor’s son’s birthday! It was nice to catch up with folks, especially a few who are not on Facebook much.
3. Cleaning catch-up. I’ve been keeping up with dishes and laundry and occasional sweeping, but not much else since my hospitalization a few of weeks ago. I can’t say I enjoy housework, but I enjoy the results. 🙂 I got caught up on some routine housework tasks plus did a partial cleanout of my closet, including throwing away a few things that I should have last spring.
4. A meal from my daughter-in-law. I know I mention this often. But it’s a favorite every time. 🙂 This day in particular, I had my annual physical then went to the grocery store. My husband usually helps bring in and put away groceries, but he was away that day and Jesse was working–he can only take breaks on schedule. So by the time I got done, I was a little frazzled. Then I got a text from Mittu offering to bring over rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and banana chocolate chip cake. Though I always appreciate it when she brings over a meal, it was especially welcome that day. Then she and Jason cleaned the meat off the bones and let us have the leftover meat, enough for 2-3 more meals.
5. Fixing an iPhone and iPad glitch. I have two email accounts and hadn’t been able to access one on my devices. I could read email but not send or forward it. I’ve just been handling mail for that account on my computer. But this week I uninstalled and reinstalled that email account on both devices, and it seems to work ok now.
And that wraps up my week. How was yours?
I like the creative way your church family is gathering. And your daughter-in-love? What a gem! Happy Friday and happy weekend.
Three cheers again for Mittu coming through! I’m wondering about the wordpress issue. I recently read another blogger complaining about changes. My blog is wordpress too, but I haven’t noticed things different recently. I’m wondering if it’s because mine is a free account? I will say that sometimes I look at an old post and I notice when I go in to edit it that the formatting is different. Hmmmm ….
I have a friend who comes to picnic with me on the regular. We sit on my lanai, enjoy the ocean breeze, each at our own table with our own food. It is so much nicer than text and email.
That sounds lovely.
I really dislike when platforms change things up. I always stress when I have to learn new technology type things. Blogger just changed up too and it took me a bit to get used to it. Picnics were the way we were visiting with friends and family over the summer but that will be ending soon as the colder weather starts to set in. Mittu is such a blessing.
Your daughter-in-law is such a blessing. Blogger just made itself new and improved also. It took me a little while but I don’t seem to having many problems now.
The Professor always says, When your device doesn’t work, restart it. Same with uninstalling and reinstalling. I’m glad your emails are working again.
Mittu is always so helpful. You are truly blessed with such a daughter in law.
I loved your comment–I don’t like housework but I like the results. Yes!
I don’t understand why companies think they have to change things all the time–my mantra is, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! I’m sorry you are having wordpress issues. (like blogger that messed everything up)
Cleaning off my desk always lifts my spirits. And to find gift cards!? Wow, that’s never happened, but what a find! Blogger made big changes and I’m still getting used to it. It takes twice as long to do some of the same functions. So maddening. I hope you are enjoying your weekend!
Your daughter-in-law is a blessing. A cooked meal is always nice but when you’re really in need of it and not expecting it – well it must have tasted wonderful! Yes IT glitches and changes can be so frustrating. Blogger changed their format recently and I’ve just got my head around it. Hope you’ve had a good weekend.
Yes. GRRRRR is about the only reaction to the new editor. And I’m with you. I liked the old old one with a simple code/visual toggle and all the commonsensical selections (categories, tags, schedule) on the right and clear “save” or “post” buttons!
Nice reward for cleaning out your desk! I know what you mean about invisible tidying. Happens a lot in the garden. What a lovely and thoughtful gift from your DIL — she has such great ideas for serving you and blessing you in this way.
It sounds like your church is doing a great job with fellowship AND health guidelines!! Yay!
Your week sounds like a wonderfully check off to do list with the added blessing of a home cooked meal by your precious dil. Enjoy the new week!!