On Fridays I like to pause for a few moments with Susanne and friends
to reflect on some of the blessings of the week.
“Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, The God of our salvation!” (Psalm 68:19, NKJV). Daily! Here are a few He loaded into my week.
1. A quick offer on a house. We own the rental my son and daughter-in-law were in. When they bought their first home, we decided to sell the rental instead of trying to keep up with it. We had a good offer within a day and a half of listing it! We have to see if it all works out, but we were encouraged.
2. An online meeting. The online writer’s conference I attended in November included a fifteen-minute Zoom meeting with one of the faculty. The lady I signed up to talk to wanted to put the meetings off til January, since otherwise we’d be meeting just before Thanksgiving. That was fine with me. We met this week and had a good conversation. She gave me one key thought for my book project that I had not considered. It seems like every industry professional I have talked to through writer’s conferences has done that. Slowly the pieces are coming together!
3. Not as much snow as forecast. 🙂 Sometimes the blessing is in what we don’t receive. Snow is fun to play in but can wreak havoc or just shut down movement here in the South where we are not as equipped to deal with it. So when we got just a little snow, it was pretty but didn’t cause any trouble.
4. Short-lived knee pain. I have trouble with one knee occasionally. When it caused me significant pain on Tuesday, my mind immediately jumped to the worst-case scenario and assumed I was going to need knee replacement. 🙂 Thankfully, the pain abated over the next two days and I am back to normal now. I must have wrenched it in some forgotten way.
5. Old, meaningful hymns. I was puttering in the kitchen when The Haven of Rest came on. I used to hear that on the radio and in church a lot right after I became a Christian, and it meant a lot to me. I haven’t heard it in a long time. I was almost in tears singing along with it.
What are some of the benefits God loaded into your week?
wow!! This hymn brought tears to my eyes because the last time I heard it was in August at my childhood pastor’s wife’s graveside service. Some of the dear friends of my daddy and mom from the Free Methodist church in my hometown (out in the central part of NYS) make up a quartet and they sang this!!! What a special song.
Congrats on the rental home selling…..
and how awesome to get input from an author and writing expert. That must have been so interesting.
Glad your knee is ok!! I find that the little bit of arthritis I have in my knee and hip “act up” when it snows…maybe that’s why yours was? we basically have NO snow here in eastern NY. it looks and feels like mid-March here!! I’m not complaining.
enjoy the weekend
I remember The Haven of Rest well. When I had just graduated from high school, my dad started a Christian radio station under the auspices of a church in our town. I worked there, and many times hooked up the reel-to-reel daily broadcast of The Haven of Rest. You brought back some good memories for me this afternoon!!!
Congratulations on the house sale and the lovely snow you got.
How wonderful about the quick offer on the house! Houses around here too seem to be selling extremely quickly and that has been the case the whole last year. It’s kind of strange to me — does a pandemic induce people to want to move??! Yay on the decreasing knee pain! I will do that as well (take a current physical issue and worry it into a bigger thing). Related good bit for me this week: due to my high cholesterol, my dr. wanted me to have a CT heart scan. Results came back 0, which was the best they could be. I’m so relieved!
It’s been a few years since I’ve been to a writer’s conference or retreat. There’s one coming up in April, and your enthusiasm is motivating me to just go for it! Oddly enough, with all the extra time at home these past 10 months, I’ve felt less motivated to work on my projects. Joining up with others may be the thing to do. It’s helped in the past.
That sounds like good news with the rental – hope the sale goes through smoothly. Glad your knee pain didn’t turn out to be worse. Enjoy your weekend.
Much to be encouraged about in this post. Glad you were able to see you rental property. We have a couple of rental properties and one is vacant right now, so we are hoping, and praying to get new tenants soon, as we don’t want to see it yet. Glad that your knee is feeling better. We haven’t had much snow here in Utah this winter and we need it badly for next summer’s water supply. Glad you got some ideas for your book. Have a great weekend. Stay well!
You are lucky with the house sale, we sold ours in March just before the first lockdown ! It only snowed once here but it is too warm to stay.
I’m glad that your knee pain wasn’t more serious. It would have been rough to have surgery during the pandemic. Here in my area there are very few houses on the market and they are going quickly for above asking price.
Hurray on getting such a quick offer on your house! I’m sure the buyers are happy to find a lovely home. I imagine that your son and dil have cared for it very well.
I’m glad your knee pain was short lived.
I’m enjoying listening to Haven of Rest as I type 🙂 Thanks for the link!
Wow, that was quick action on your house! Hope it all works out and it will be sold. So glad your knee pain was short lived. Funny how sometimes our minds automatically jump to the extreme right away. How wonderful that another piece of your book is falling into place. I’m glad that you are able to glean these nuggets from the people who help at the conferences you attend.