It’s Friday, time to look back over the blessings of the week
with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story and other friends.
I’ve had a great week! Here are some of the best parts:
1. Lunch with a friend at a restaurant. I haven’t eaten inside a restaurant since the pandemic started, though we’ve gotten lots of takeout. But last Friday a friend and I arranged to go to lunch at a restaurant on a lake that has a patio. A rowboat regatta was scheduled on the lake for the next day, and we watched people setting up for it and teams practicing. The setting, the food, the fellowship were all just wonderful.
2. Dinner and cicada sightings. My grandson sent me a voice text asking if I wanted to come over and hang out with him. Well, of course! 🙂 My son and daughter-in-law got take-out Mexican food for us all. Then we went outside while they planted some newly acquired flowers. Jason kept hearing something that sounded like Rice Krispies popping. Then he noticed scores—maybe hundreds—of Brood X cicadas (the ones that hatch every 17 years) molting in their yard. They’d crawl around, find a place to molt, and then squirm out of their old bodies (looking a bit like shrimp at that point). It was interesting and cool and creepy all at the same time.
3. Our first excursion in the RV. Jim wanted to take the RV for a test drive, so we packed stuff for hot dogs and drove about an hour away to scout out an RV park for possible future camping.
We had a lovely view of the lake, which included a roped-off area for swimming.
4. Combination church lunch, baby shower, and graduation celebration. We had bring-your-own lunch at the pavilion next to where our church meets and used the occasion for a couple of celebrations as well. Someone brought cupcakes for the honorees.
5. Mammogram over with. I was scheduled for a mammogram somewhere during the beginning of the pandemic, but put it off as unessential until we saw how things were going to go. It was rescheduled for this week, along with a bone density scan at the same facility. I’ve already heard back that everything looked fine with both scans. That’s always a relief, and it’s nice to have those things done with for now.
Although I enjoyed the outings (well, except for the last one . . . ), I luxuriated in having the rest of the week at home with nothing on the calendar.
That wraps up my week. How was yours?
Taking the RV out for a test run sounds like a good idea. I think I’ll suggest that to The Professor. We haven’t really done anything with ours since our move.
We haven’t seen or heard any of the cicadas, but it does sound like a really interesting science project to watch them molt. How cool to be able to see them.
Yay for eating in a restaurant! Normalcy returning, maybe?
You had a wonderful week compared to mine ! You did all what I am dreaming of but we still have lockdown for restaurants (only outside) and a lousy weather with storm and rain so no excursions, and Belgium is such a little country that in two hours you are in another another one ! So of course I have seen already everything. And anyway it’s no fun when it’s cold and it rains !
CUTE RV! I also love the photos and info on the cicadas. I often hear them buzzing in the trees in August, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen/heard them popping out/molting. Interesting!
The RV test run sounds like fun. The area at the lake is lovely. You are making me want an RV. How fun that Timothy calls you just to “hang out” with him. Fascinating that that type of cicada only comes out every 17 years. So nice that you were able to lunch outdoors at a restaurant.
Pingback: May Reflections | Stray Thoughts