Once again, I am running a little late. We has a fun but long day yesterday, and this morning I went back to bed for a while after I woke up. But it’s never too late to stop and recount the good things God has brought into our lives. We take time to do so every Friday with Susanne and friends at Living to Tell the Story. Please feel free to join in!
1. Dinner and games with the family. Jason and Mittu invited us and Jesse over last Saturday for nachos and games and visiting. Mittu also made these wonderful chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing–and sent a few home with us!
2. Day trip. Some of you are familiar with Jan Karon, author of the Mitford books set in a fictional small NC town. Last fall, the Mitford Museum was opened in the elementary school Jan attended in the town of Hudson, NC. It’s a little over 3 hours away from us. I am a big fan of Jan and her books, but my friend, Melanie, is a super fan. We wanted to visit the museum ever since we heard about it and finally went yesterday. We also enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the nearby Vintage Cafe and Bakery. I’ll post about our excursion one day next week.
3. My husband, Jim, graciously chauffeured and accompanied us even though he wasn’t familiar with Mitford or Jan’s writings. It was nice for Jim and Melanie to finally meet after only hearing about each other for so long.
4. Safety on the roads in bad weather. Rain was forecast for the whole day yesterday. It wasn’t too bad in the morning, but in the afternoon we kept getting notices of thunderstorms, flooding, and possible tornadoes. Thankfully we didn’t experience flooding or tornadoes, and were safe with the heavy rains and slick roads. I was doubly glad that Jim was driving.
5. Reward points. We decided to pick up pizza on the way home. When I started my order on my phone app, I saw I had enough reward points for two free medium pizzas.
We came home and ate pizza, and I had the German chocolate cake I had brought home from the Vintage Cafe. We watched a little TV and then crashed. Thus my tiredness and extra nap this morning. I don’t know why traveling makes me tired when I’m not driving, but trips usually wipe me out! But we had a great time and I am looking forward to telling you more about it.
I hope you have a good Memorial Day weekend. I am abundantly thankful for the sacrifices made by those who have gone before that we might enjoy the freedom we have today.
Aww sounds like you had a fun day out with your friend and yes good to have a chauffeur! Someone told me recently that although we think travelling should be restful, one of the reasons it’s so tiring is because our bodies are compensating for all the moving that is actually going on, especially in a car. Sort of makes sense I guess. I always find travelling tiring. Have a good weekend.
oh my goodness. My sister Hope and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jan Karon and her Mitford series. Wait until I tell her you went to the museum!! How fun and special to do it with your good friend and how nice of Jim to accompany you and do all that driving. yummy…german chocolate cake sounds perfect after a long day. Happy Long weekend!!
I love your dress in that picture . I’m trying to find modest clothes . Can you give me some advise ?
I’m seeing a lot of modest dresses in stores these days. A few weeks ago, I found some very nice ones on sale at Old Navy recently–not a store I usually associate with dresses. The dress in this picture is from https://www.serengetifashions.com/, but it’s from several years ago and not something they’d have any more. They are a little more expensive than I usually like to pay, but their things are excellent quality and last for years. I also find some nice things here sometimes: https://www.amerimark.com/anthony-richards/dresses/shop.html?.
YUM YUM! I will take any leftover cupcakes; chocolate/peanut butter is a favorite combo of mine 🙂 How fun on the Mitford museum outing! I will enjoy reading more about that. Very cool on the free pizza and I know totally what you mean about being wiped out by a day of travel, even if you’re only riding in the car (or on a bus)!
Fun day with your friend! And I am always thankful for my chauffeur, too. On our trip to Cleveland, he did ALL the driving.
Isn’t it great to be able to live near family and have those impromptu dinners together?
Happy long weekend to you!
It was so much fun to share my visit to the museum with you and Jim. I’m so thankful for Jim driving through all the rain. I ate my piece of cake when I got home too! I do treasure our friendship!
How fun that you got to meet up with Melanie and enjoy a fun day together doing something special. Nice pic of the two of you together. Glad you made it safe and sound with the rain. I don’t like driving in heavy rain, it makes me really nervous. That cupcake looks delicious
Nope, never too late! Sounds like you had a wonderful week all around and recuperated from the road trip with some comfort food.