Susanne at Living to Tell the Story hosts a “Friday Fave Five” in which we share our five favorite things from the past week. Click on the button to read more of the details, and you can visit Susanne to see the list of others’ favorites or to join in.
Here are my faves for the week:
1. Dinner at Outback! We don’t go there often, and we don’t usually go to restaurants around Valentine’s Day because they’re so busy. But when Jim offered to take the family to Outback the night before Valentine’s Day, well, I wasn’t going to turn him down! It did take a long time to get seated — they told us 45 minutes, but it ended up being almost two hours — but once we got to eat, everything was wonderful.
2. Valentine’s Day! It’s probably my favorite holiday, maybe vying with Christmas. We don’t usually do gifts, but we did exchange cards, I made my little chocolate heart cupcakes, and hubby surprised me with some Lindt truffles!
I pretty much only use tablecloths on holidays, maybe sometimes on special occasions, and I cannot find a pink tablecloth that isn’t peachy-looking, but I did spread this square pink one over the oval ivory one to make it more Valentiney:
I only had 6 pink napkins and we had 7 people, so I used both pink and ivory and alternated them. I liked the effect.
3. Snow Friday night! Nice and fluffy! And most of the snow melting Saturday afternoon! Yes, those are both favorites! I like it when it’s around long enough to play in a little, and then melts away.
4. A snowy Valentine message from Jesse, my youngest:
5. Cleaning out my desk and discovering a $25 award certificate to Amazon.com that I had forgotten about! I ordered three books totaling a little over $30, qualified for free shipping, and with my certificate only paid something like $5.87. One of the books is Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter, various thoughts and essays compiled by Nancy Guthrie in the same style as Come, Though Long Expected Jesus which I read and enjoyed before Christmas. I’m looking forward to using it to prepare my heart for Easter.
The Olympics! I mentioned that yesterday so I won’t elaborate.
I also mentioned yesterday that an unfavorite part of the week was receiving a summons for jury duty, and a few people wanted to know why I felt that way. Well, for one thing, there are other things I would rather do with my time, and I admit that is selfish. But I am also the most indecisive person I know. It takes me a long time to come to most decisions. I can see both sides of an issue or the pros and cons of each side of an decision and have a hard time unless it is just really clear-cut. The thought of having to evaluate a situation that is going to impact someone’s life unnerves me. Of course, for one-day duty it’s not likely there will be any major cases.
I’m surprised some of you have never been called! I wish they could rework it so that only people who wanted to could sign up to serve…but then they probably wouldn’t have enough people.
I’m feeling a little loopy this morning. I woke up at 3 a.m. to take Jason and Mittu to the airport for an early flight to see Mittu’s mom. It’s really strange being out and about so early! I’m not sleepy yet, but I feel just a little “off.” I think I foresee another nap in my future. 🙂