I mentioned in yesterday’s post that I had once done a study on what the Bible has to say about wanting our own way, looking up phrases like “own way,” “own thoughts,” “own heart” etc. I thought I’d share the results with you:
- Judges 17:6b Every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
- II Kings 17:33 They feared the LORD, and served their own gods.
- Prov. 14:14a The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways
- Prov. 21:2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.
- Isa. 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
- Isa. 65:2 I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;
- Isaiah 66:3 Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations.
- Jeremiah 18:12 And they said, There is no hope: but we will walk after our own devices, and we will every one do the imagination of his evil heart.
- Ezekiel 13:2 Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel that prophesy, and say thou unto them that prophesy out of their own hearts, Hear ye the word of the LORD…
- Ezekiel 16:15a But thou didst trust in thine own beauty…
- Mark 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
- Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
- Romans 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly
- Philippians 2:21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ’s.
- II Timothy 3:2b For men shall be lovers of their own selves
- Jude 1:16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men’s persons in admiration because of advantage.
- Proverbs 25:28 He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.
- Psalm 22:29 None can keep alive his own soul.
- Psalm 81:12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts’ lust: and they walked in their own counsels.
- Proverbs 1:31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
- Ezekiel 11:21b I will recompense their way upon their own heads, saith the Lord GOD.
- Ezekiel 36:31 Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.
- Romans 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
- I Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
- Psalm 44:3 For they got not the land in possession by their own sword, neither did their own arm save them: but thy right hand, and thine arm, and the light of thy countenance, because thou hadst a favour unto them.
- Proverbs 25:27b For men to search their own glory is not glory.
- I Samuel 15:17 And Samuel said, When thou wast little in thine own sight, wast thou not made the head of the tribes of Israel, and the LORD anointed thee king over Israel?
- Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
- Proverbs 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
- Proverbs 12:15b The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.
- Matthew 7:5a Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye…
- I Corinthians 10:33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
- I Corinthians 13:5 [Love] doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil….
- II Corinthians 8:5 And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.
- Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.