This evening marks 40 years my husband and I have been married!
I had not planned to post about it until next week’s Friday’s Fave Five. But then I accidentally came across a post from ten years ago on 30 things I love about my husband on our 30th anniversary. So I thought I’d repeat and expand it.
40 Things I Love About My Husband:
1. He loves God.
2. He fulfills well the admonition in Deuteronomy 6:7 to teach children God’s Word in the course of daily life: “And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.” Jeremy has said he gets more out of a conversation with his dad than almost any sermon.
3. He is a wonderful father.
4. He leads gently, not tyrannically or despotically.
5. He has kind eyes.
8. He knows how to fix a multitude of things.
9. He is smart.
11. He is calm in a crisis and knows what to do or can figure it out in short order.
12. He has a great sense of humor.
13. He is very patient with my foibles.
14. He is a great griller!
16. Sometimes he will clean the bathrooms unasked and unexpectedly.
17. He has a strong work ethic. He not only works hard and long to support us, he likes to do his best at any task.
19. He is generous.
20. He has a lot of financial savvy.
21. He has a lot of sanctified common sense.
22. He is discerning.
23. He is generally more relaxed than I am. I appreciate the counter balance to my tenseness.
24. He can handle most of the technological stuff.
25. He is thoughtful.
26. He is more outgoing than I am.
27. Though he probably would say he doesn’t feel at ease in social situations, he handles them with apparent ease.
28. He is generally more upbeat and cheerful than I am. If he does get into a bad mood of some kind, it doesn’t usually last long.
29. He is still a gentleman.
30. He’s a man of strong principles.
31. He builds things for me.
32. When there’s one piece left of a special treat he knows I like, he leaves it for me.
33. He’s a wonderful father-in-law.
36. He likes to find good deals.
37. He likes to problem-solve and is good at it.
38. He is compassionate.
39. He shows his love to me in countless ways every day.
40. He made this video for me eleven years ago to one of my favorite songs: “The Voyage,” sung by John McDermott of the Irish Tenors. I love to watch it every year. Some day we need to make an updated version.
Happy, happy anniversary! I wouldn’t have wanted to spend the last 40 years with anyone but you!