Here we are at the first Friday of June already. It’s time to slow down for a moment with Susanne and friends at Living to Tell the Story. to think about the good things of the week before they are gone forever. Please feel free to join in!
1. Memorial Day. I am thankful beyond words for those who gave their lives in the defense of our country. It has become something of a tradition for me to watch the National Memorial Day Concert on PBS the Sunday evening before. They always have a few actors retelling the stories of a few veterans, and they are so moving.
2. A long weekend. All the family was off Monday, and Jim took off the previous Thursday and Friday as well.
3. A clean patio. Jim spent part of the weekend readying our patio for summer–pressure-washing the concrete, cleaning the patio furniture, etc. It all looked so nice.
4. Cookout with the family. Jim grilled burgers and everyone contributed something else to our meal. Timothy played with a water table we’ve had since he was a toddler. I wish I had thought to take a picture for a then-and-now comparison. We played games after the meal. A nice evening and a good kickoff for summer.
5. Ad free apps. I play a few games on my iPad mini while eating lunch and then again in the evening while watching TV. I usually get the free versions, which include ads. I understand the need for ads or fees. But sometimes the ads were SO annoying. Words with Friends was the worst—very long ads that would then hang up somehow so I’d have to force close and then restart the app. But the ad-free version was $9.99–way too much, in my opinion. One day I remembered I had a gift card for Apple from someone in the family. I hadn’t been sure what to use it for, but suddenly it occurred to me I could use it to go ad-free for some of my apps. It has made such a difference! Truly a gift.
Last week I mentioned taking a trip to Jan Karon’s Mitford Museum. I told more about it and shared some photos here.
What’s something good from your week?
I used to play a color by number app on my phone, but the ads were ridiculous. I’m glad you were able to get rid of your ads. It’s great that Jim was able to take a long weekend. He deserved it after his drive on Thursday!
Yes ads on those apps are soooo annoying. I recently deleted the games apps I had on my phone as they were draining too much of my time. Now I just stick to the daily Wordle games. How lovely to have everyone together and contribute to a meal. Enjoy the weekend.
Looks like you had a wonderful Memorial Day!! Fun times!! –Ann
Sounds like your week was filled with simply wonderful things to be grateful for. The simple things i life are best. I truly believe that. So glad you had a nice Memorial Day weekend. I loved finding out more about the Mitford Museum. So nice that you could meet up with blogger Melanie and enjoy the museum. Hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!
I play Wordle (free and NO ads) via the NYTimes website and also play a strategy game and Words with Friends and yes those ads are annoying. Sometimes i don’t get any thought! it’s weird.
Sounds like a great Memorial Day weekend for you and yay for setting up the patio. I LOVE being outdoors.
Glad you had a great weekend. Our oldest son got married Sunday, so our weekend was full. One non-wedding activity was a large table top Jenga match between my husband and adult kids/spouses. Glad my daughter insisted I get it. It was a hoot!
Sometimes it’s the little things — like an ad-free game; that truly would be nice! This week, I’ve really enjoyed watching and reading about the various Platinum Jubilee events in England.
You play words with friends? So do I. And also Words With Friends2. Usually I just ignore the ads. I’m glad you were able to get rid of them–they can be time wasters.
It sounds like a great kick off for the summer– time off, family bbq, games. We love being out back on our patio too. (gotta get a new umbrella!)
Happy weekend to you.
The ads in those games are so frusrating. I notice a lot of them are starting to come with a skip ad button about halfway through the ad. I just have to watch for it and click it before it disappears. How nice that you found a gift card you could apply and get the games totally ad free. Sounds like a wonderful long weekend. And a nice fresh and clean summer area is always a blessing.
Ad-free and ready for summer and already grilling. What could be better?
I did the same for a longer weekend. So wonderful to think, tomorrow’s only Saturday!