I received this in an e-mail, and I think I saw it on someone’s blog, but forgot to note where. I added a few questions of my own at the end.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Some of each. For the family it’s mostly wrapped packages unless something is an odd shape. For anyone outside of family it’s often a gift bag.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Real so far, but after getting rained out of getting our Christmas tree when we’d planned to I am thinking more about an artificial one.
3. When do you put up the tree? Usually whenever everyone’s schedules can coincide. We like to get the tree and decorate it together as a family. I like the first Sat. in December. This year we were thinking about the day after Thanksgiving since everyone will was off then, but it rained on the day we were going to get it. This Saturday some of he kids works in the afternoon and others of us have events in the evening. So I don’t know when we’ll get to do it.
4. When do you take the tree down? By New Year’s if not before.
5. Do you like eggnog? I don’t, but Jim and the boys do.
6. Favorite gift received as a child. Barbie dolls, because my nickname was Barbie.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My step-father.
8. Easiest person to buy for? Jesse, my youngest.
9. Do you have a nativity scene? No. The closest I have is this little musical figurine my mom gave me.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mostly snail-mail, but a few e-mail.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received. Chocolate covered cherries (Bleah!)
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? White Christmas
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Some time after Thanksgiving usually, but not Black Friday!! When my mom was alive, we would tuck little things away for each other all through the year. I knew what kinds of things she liked and would buy them as I found them. With my boys now, as they grow their tastes and desires change, plus whatever new game or gadget they want won’t be available until closer to Christmas, so I usually wait. (More on gadget gifts for guys tomorrow!)
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I think I may have, though I can’t remember any specifics. I know I have given away Christmas presents I received but didn’t want without presenting them as a gift from me.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Harvest loaf Cake
16. Lights on the tree? Of course.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Too many good ones to have one favorite! But “In The Bleak Mid-winter” and “Infant Holy, Infant Lowly” would be at the top of the list. I like the “Carol of the Bells” the first couple of times I hear it.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? Stay home.
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? No
20. Angel on the treetop or a star? Angel but I’d like to replace it with a star.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Morning
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Crowds in the stores, over-full schedule
23. What theme or color are you using? Usual Christmas colors. We have a wide variety of ornaments and decorations — I never went in for a themed tree — but we do have a lot of snowmen.
24. Favorites for Christmas dinner. Ham, mashed potatoes, pies.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I haven’t thought much about it yet.
26. Do you have a favorite ornament, what? I have several favorites — it is fun to see them and recall the stories behind them as we decorate the tree.
27. Favorite Christmas special on TV? Charlie Brown Christmas would be tops, but also The Little Drummer Boy and The Grinch Stole Christmas.
28. Do you give gifts to extended family (adult siblings, nieces, nephews, cousins)? Family gifts or individual ones? Not cousins or aunts or uncles. I like giving to everyone, but it has kind of fallen off over the years. Even when we did it, it wasn’t reciprocated — it just gets too expensive, and not living nearby, we don’t know their tastes any more. But sometimes if we have a really good, inexpensive idea, we’ll go for it, like last year when we ended up with a lot of old family pictures and made a CD of them for everyone plus copied an 8×10 of my mom and step-dad for everyone.
29. Christmas parties? Our Sunday School class has one as does the ladies’ group at church. Only once or twice has my husband’s job had anything that involved spouses.
30. Do you bake Christmas cookies? What kind? We did decorated sugar cookies when the kids were little but haven’t in the last few years. I also make gingerbread teddie bears some years. They’re a lot of work, so I don’t do them every year, but I have been craving them this year. If I make them I’ll show them to you.
31. Special church services? There is always a kid’s play or presentation, an adult choir Christmas cantata, and usually a Christmas Eve service.
32. Christmas events you like to attend? Our town has a “Dickens of a Christmas” evening downtown where there are different groups singing, little plays or ballets in shop windows, etc. There are a couple of places with light displays that we usually drive through. That’s all I can remember we do regularly, but if something else comes up that we’re interested in and have time for, we’ll go.
33. Read the Christmas story on Christmas? Yes, my husband does, usually before we open gifts, usually from Luke 2 but sometimes from other passages.
Let me know if you do this and I’ll come by to see your answers!
(Graphic courtesy of the stock.xchng)